The proposal is for the development of the existing under-used pub garden and former paddock at the Engineers Arms into a small courtyard housing development of 6 new homes. This is in conjunction with the tandem proposal for the restoration of the former Leiston Works Railways which runs through the proposal site. The proposals include landscaping, car parking and new access arrangements.
The site is within the heart of the historic centre of Leiston which also forms a conservation area.The site address is the Engineers Arms Pubic House on Main Street in Leiston Town Centre. The application site comprises part of the extensive beer garden at the rear of the property.
The Engineers Arms is a public house which originally opened in 1882 and was remodelled c.1900. It still retains much of its historic window and door joinery. The pub’s red brick elevations are embellished with rubbed brick detailing and above is a roof of black glazed pan-tiles with overhanging eaves. To the left is a later single storey addition. The return elevation of the pub to Post Of ce Square is rendered to disguise scarring left by the remains of a demolished building. The building’s pub use is essential to retain for the vitality of the town centre and conservation area character.’ Excerpt from Leiston Conservation Area Appraisal