The main school is a Victorian three-storey building dating from 1897. To the rear of the building is predominantly hard playground the rest of the adjacent land is mostly grass lawns with large mature trees. The placement of the mature trees has defined the separation of the spaces within the site. Other accommodation consists of a stand alone nursery building, temporary classrooms and kitchen/dining accommodation.
Hoopers were lead consultant and project architect from feasibility and planning through to completion. One of the key elements of the brief was to design a standalone building with a contemporary focal point and feel but balanced with a sensitive form and material palette to compliment the main Victorian building.
The accommodation consists of two main teaching spaces over two storeys. On the first floor there are three new classrooms each with oak verandahs for external learning storage and WC space with a feature staircase and platform lift access. The ground floor teaching spaces is a large reception class with bifold doors, integrated and open wash WC space and separate external play area. A new school hall makes up the rest of the ground floor accommodation with it’s high mono-pitch vaulted ceiling and floor to ceiling projecting zinc windows. There’s also a new kitchen and offices all within a very economical footprint to reduce the impact on the surrounding landscape.